Recreation Commissions are volunteer bodies of the AMA that discuss ways to enhance and promote recreational driving and riding events sanctioned by the AMA.
Discipline based Recreation Commissions are:
- Road Driving/ Riding Commission
- Dirt Driving/ Riding Commission
- Trail/ Off Road Driving/ Riding Commission
- Special Interests Commission
Other Recreation Commissions are:
- Medical/Safety Commission: Creates, recommends, reviews, and approves proposals that affect multiple disciplines. This commission will engage outside experts on an as-needed basis.
- Technical Commission: Creates, recommends, reviews, and approves proposals that affect multiple disciplines. This commission will engage outside experts on an as-needed basis.
Each AMA Recreation Commission appointee must be a member in good standing of the AMA Clubs throughout his or her appointment. Each appointee shall serve a two-year term beginning in January. Applications must be submitted by September 1 for the term beginning the following January. Appointees may serve multiple terms.
Recreation Commission appointees may include the following:
- A representative from an AMA recreation division, chapter or branch
- A representative of an AMA recreation promoter
- AMA recreation leader
- A noted expert in the discipline represented by the particular commission
Recreation Commission appointment procedures are:
- Completed commission member applications must be submitted to the AMA by September 1 before the beginning of the next two-year term. Terms start in January and last two (2) years. The term cycle is January 1, – December 31.
- Applications will be reviewed by AMA staff discipline oordinators and then nominated by the AMA Racing Officer for appointment by the AMA President.
- Appointees must be AMA members in good standing and complete the following training within three months of appointment:
- AMA Leader training,
- AMA risk management workshop. (Completed affidavit must be submitted.)
It is the responsibility of Recreation Commission members to:
- Participate in the scheduled online commission meetings.
- Accept and organize rule proposals from AMA members. AMA Recreation Commission appointees shall attend events and solicit information from AMA members, and be prepared to discuss these issues with their AMA Commission.
- Submit rule proposals and agenda items through the official process for any upcoming agendas.
- Provide assistance to AMA staff regarding research and operational issues.
- Assist or serve as an AMA official at AMA-sanctioned events, such as a leader, risk management officer, etc.
- Provide on-site operational assistance to AMA staff at AMA sanctioned events on an as needed basis.
- Represent objectively, faithfully and accurately the interests of AMA sanctioned recreation activity.
- Promote cooperation, consensus and harmony among other organizations and the AMA.
- Promote the interests of the AMA, including growth of AMA Clubs membership.
- Participate throughout the year in AMA Recreationt Commission activities and support discipline oordinators on AMA staff as may be required.
Individuals who cannot conscientiously meet these responsibilities should not seek nor accept a nomination for an AMA Recreation Commission appointment.
Currently seated Recreation Commission members wishing to continue their participation must submit a new application by September 1, for the new term that will begin January 1.